Questions + Answers About

Slip and Falls

How long do I have to file a claim after a slip and fall?

The statute of limitations is a time limit established by the laws of Wisconsin, and it determines how long you have to file a lawsuit. The statute of limitations varies depending on the details of your slip and fall incident, so we recommend you pursue your case immediately.
See More

Whose insurance has to pay for my medical bills if I am injured in a slip and fall?

The property owner and their insurance company are responsible for expenses that may result from the incident, including medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses.
See More

Do I still have a claim if my health insurance or worker’s compensation paid my medical bills after a slip and fall?

Those injured by a slip and fall accident are entitled to the full value of their medical treatment. This includes the actual cost of the treatment, not just their copay or deductible. Oftentimes, insurance carriers attempt to reduce damages by offering to pay only “out of pocket” expenses, which leaves the injured person less than whole.

While your health insurance carrier has to pay for your medical expenses, they also have the right to be paid back. This is generally referred to as subrogation.

Keep in mind that you may be entitled to more than medical expense reimbursement. Punitive damages such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost wages and more are often part of personal injury cases.
See More

What if I slipped at a family member or friends house? Who is liable?

Most property owners or renters are required to purchase public liability insurance by their mortgage lenders or landlords. While it be nerve-wracking to pursue a slip and fall case that involves family or friends, oftentimes their insurance will cover any claims. You owe it to yourself to make sure you're compensated for all medical bills and expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses.
See More

I suffered a slip and fall, what should I do?

If you suffer a slip and fall injury, you should first visit a doctor and seek medical treatment. Slip and fall incidents often result in serious musculoskeletal injuries like broken bones, slipped discs, spinal cord injuries, torn ligaments and more. The extent of these injuries may not be clear immediately, so a thorough exam is important.

After receiving medical care, notify the property owner about your injury and ask for the name of their insurance company. Make sure that you document everything that you can. Take pictures of your injuries and try to take a picture of the condition that caused your slip and fall incident. Make a list of witnesses, and keep track of any medical bills or other expenses that you have incurred as a result of your injuries.

The next step is opening a claim with the property owner’s insurance carrier. If you have been injured, seek the representation of an attorney before providing a statement to another party.

Lastly, get in touch with Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs for a review of your case. Our personal injury attorneys specializing in slip and fall injuries will review your situation and recommend next steps, which may include legal action.
See More

Still need an answer? Ask us.

If we haven't yet answered your question, feel free to send us a message and we'll do our best to get back to you with an answer.