Questions + Answers About

Burn Injuries

How long do I have to file a claim after a burn injury?

The statute of limitations is a time limit established by the laws of Wisconsin, and it determines how long you have to file a lawsuit. The statute of limitations varies depending on the details of your burn injury, so we recommend you pursue your case immediately.
See More

Whose insurance has to pay for my medical bills if I suffer a burn injury?

Burn injury insurance coverage varies based on where and when the incident occured. Your insurance, your employer’s insurance, your landlord's insurance, worker’s compensation or a third-party insurer may cover your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses.
See More

Do I still have a claim if my health insurance or worker’s compensation paid my medical bills after a burn injury?

Those injured in a burn injury are entitled to the full value of their medical treatment. This includes the actual cost of the treatment, not just their copay or deductible. Oftentimes, insurance carriers attempt to reduce damages by offering to pay only ‘out of pocket’ expenses, which leaves the injured person less than whole.

While your health insurance carrier has to pay for your medical expenses, they also have the right to be paid back. This is generally referred to as subrogation.

Keep in mind that you may be entitled to more than medical expense reimbursement. Punitive damages such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost wages and more are often part of personal injury cases.
See More

What if I was also at fault for the incident which caused my burn injury?

In Wisconsin, burn injury victims can be held partially liable if they are at fault for the incident, intentionally or not. You are still eligible to receive damages even if you are deemed “negligent” in the incident, though the total amount may be reduced.
See More

What if it is a minor burn?

Even minor burns can change your life. If you’re concerned your burn injury may have a long-lasting impact on your physical or mental health, contact Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs to review your case today.
See More

I suffered a burn injury, what should I do?

If you suffer a burn injury, you should first visit a doctor and seek medical treatment for any injuries. Burns often have delayed repercussions like internal injuries and serious infection, so it is essential to contact your doctor for even minor burns.

Depending on the specifics of your burn injury, you may be contacted by your employer’s or landlord’s insurance provider. If you have been injured, seek the representation of an attorney before providing a statement to another party.

Lastly, get in touch with Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs for a review of your case. Our personal injury attorneys specializing in burn injuries will review your situation and recommend next steps, which may include legal action.
See More

Still need an answer? Ask us.

If we haven't yet answered your question, feel free to send us a message and we'll do our best to get back to you with an answer.