Experienced Car Crash Wisconsin Lawyers
The moments immediately following an auto accident can be overwhelming and stressful. You’re probably thinking Am I hurt? What do I do now? How can I afford this?
Whether you experience a minor car accident or one that results in major, cataclysmic damages, Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs’ team of personal injury attorneys is dedicated to helping you answer those questions.
With over 35 years of experience handling car accident cases of all kinds, our team will work hard to ensure you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
What To Do If Involved In a Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a Wisconsin auto accident, the moments immediately following the crash can be overwhelming and confusing. You want to make sure you’ve done everything you can to protect yourself both physically and financially.
Steps to take immediately after a car crash:
- Be sure to assess the situation and assist anyone who may be injured. However, if the injuries seem serious, do not move anyone.
- Make sure the scene is safe. For fender benders or minor crashes, moving cars to the rightmost or emergency lane is okay.
- Dial 911 and notify the police and emergency responders, if needed. If the police do not come, you can still file a report, which may help with any liability claims down the road.
- Exchange pertinent information with all parties – both the other driver and witnesses – and document the scene. Make sure to collect full names, contact info, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers and insurance carriers and policy numbers. You should also note the make, model and manufactured year of all vehicles and if possible, take photos of the location, people involved and damages.
- Notify your insurance carrier, but do not claim fault.
- Get your vehicle repaired at the body shop of your choosing.
- Contact the personal injury attorneys at Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs to see if you have a car accident case.
How Car Accident Lawyers Like GTW Can Help
Contact Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs for a free car accident case consultation. Our passionate and knowledgeable car accident lawyers will review your situation and recommend next steps, which may include legal action.
With offices in Madison, Eau Claire, Milwaukee and Waukesha, we represent clients all over Wisconsin and in parts of Minnesota.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
The average person will be involved in a car crash every 17.9 years. For most people, that means you may experience a total of three auto accidents in your lifetime. With Wisconsin being a four-season state, drivers are no strangers to extreme road hazards. However, those aren’t the only common accident causes.
Common car accident causes
- Distracted driving – This can include anything that diverts attention from the road, such as texting or talking on the phone, talking to other passengers, eating or drinking food and paying attention to the car’s systems like the radio or navigation system. According to the CDC, nine people are killed every day in the U.S. because of a distracted driver.
- Speeding – Driving excessively over the speed limit reduces the reaction time for drivers. On average, drivers report going at least 10mph over the speed limit more than half the time in the car, which can increase the odds of a car accident by 9% (Fortune, 2016).
- Impaired driving – Driving while using any substance – alcohol or other legal/illegal drugs – is against the law. Three in five people will be involved in an accident because of impaired driving in their lifetime (National Center for Statistics and Analysis, 2017).
- Aggressive Driving – In addition to speeding, tailgating, running red lights and weaving in and out of traffic are all signs of aggressive driving. That behavior is becoming more common. Sixty-six percent of traffic fatalities are caused by aggressive driving (Safemotorist.com, 2019).
- Road Conditions – Wisconsin drivers are well aware of the impact of road conditions. Nationwide, of the six million car crashes that happen annually, 22% are weather-related (FHWA, 2017).
Contact A Wisconsin Car Accident Lawyer Near You
Contact Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs to have your car accident case evaluated by one of our experienced attorneys. Se habla español.