Dana J. Wachs
About Dana J. Wachs
I am a lifelong resident of Eau Claire. I am proud to be following in the footsteps of my father, Ray Wachs, a former Eau Claire City Manager and City Attorney who also practiced law in the Eau Claire area for many years. Throughout my career, I have focused my law practice on helping injured people.
I spent three terms representing Eau Claire in the state legislature and was a candidate for governor in 2018.
My wife (who also is an attorney) and I have three children. I am a fanatical Green Bay Packers fan (and shareholder!) and never miss a chance to watch or attend a game. When I am not working to get justice for my clients, I also enjoy downhill skiing, hunting, boating, fishing, playing the trumpet, reading, astronomy and listening to music.
If you weren’t a lawyer, what would you do? I would like to be a doctor.
What is your greatest accomplishment?
My greatest personal accomplishment is having raised three healthy, well-adjusted children to adulthood. My proudest legal accomplishment was the work I did at trial and in the appellate court in the case of Johnson v. Kokemoor. This case set a national precedent in medical malpractice informed consent law and is being taught and discussed in the legal and medical community throughout the United States.
- J.D., Valparaiso University School of Law, 1985
- B.S., Marquette University, 1981
- Wisconsin State Bar, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
- Top Attorneys in Wisconsin, 2011-Present
- The National Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100 Trial Lawyer, 2013-Present
- SuperLawyers, 2011-Present
- Best Lawyers, 2018-Present
- Who’s Who in America
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Eau Claire County Bar Association
- Wisconsin Association for Justice
- Western District Bar Association
- Eau Claire City Council Member at Large 2009-2012
- City/County Health Committee
- Transit Commission
- Affirmative Action Committee
- Parks and Waterway Committee
- Library Board
- Economic Policy Advisory Committee
- Wisconsin State Assembly 2012-2018