June 21, 2019

I was involved in a car accident, what should I do?

Wisconsin law requires the driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in personal injury, death or property damage to remain at the scene of the crash. You should call the police, exchange information and record contact information for any witnesses.

The first step to take following a car accident is to seek medical treatment. If you are experiencing pain of any kind, visit a medical doctor, chiropractor, urgent care or emergency room as soon as possible. Your health is always the main priority. Be proactive about getting a proper diagnosis and obtaining treatment for your injuries.

Next, you should open a claim with your auto insurance carrier, as well as the other driver’s insurance carrier. If the other driver’s insurance company calls and requests a statement, do not give them one. If you have been injured, seek the representation of an attorney before ever providing a statement to an insurance company that is not your own.

Last but not least, contact Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs for a case consultation. Our passionate and knowledgeable car accident lawyers will review your situation and recommend next steps, which may include legal action.

Nationally Recognized Law Firm