As parents and loved ones grow older, we often look to nursing homes as a place to care for our family members. Often times, our loved ones are properly cared for by nursing home staff, but in some instances negligence and abuse can occur.
There are several warning signs for negligence and abuse that include things like:
- Rapid weight loss
- Unexplained bruises or other injuries
- Developing bedsores
- Falls, especially if they become more than an isolated incident
- Sudden agitation or emotional withdrawal
- Unusual depression or lack of interest in activities they previously enjoyed
- Staff substituting strong medications or sedatives for supervision
- Changes to a Will or Power of Attorney
- Financial problems
- Caretakers being unable to provide a satisfactory explanation for a patient’s condition
While both state and federal laws are in place to protect Wisconsin’s elderly residents in senior living communities, residents are victimized every day. When it comes to your loved ones, don’t hesitate to get them the justice they deserve. At Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs, we’ll fight to make sure they get compensation for any injuries or neglect that have occurred. Contact any one of our four offices across Wisconsin for more information.