Injured in an Out-of-State Truck Accident? Take These Important Steps
Every day, at virtually any time and place, an accident involving a large truck can occur. Unfortunately, this may mean that victims find themselves suffering injuries and property damage as a result of a truck accident while traveling out of state. Victims must take the proper actions after an accident because they may be entitled to compensation for their losses.
Seven Steps to Take After an Out-of-State Truck Accident
What should you do after an out-of-state truck accident? Consider taking the following actions:
- Contact your attorney. Even if your lawyer is not licensed in the state where your accident occurred, his or her advice and guidance will likely be extremely valuable after a truck accident.
- Contact the local police. In many cases, someone else will call to have police respond to the accident scene; however, if no one has called, it is important that you do so.
- Take care of yourself. First and foremost, it is important that you seek medical attention to evaluate and treat your injuries. From a legal perspective, it is also crucial that you document the treatment that you receive, the costs you incur, and your efforts to follow through with your doctor’s orders.
- Avoid making any statements without first consulting your attorney. While it is important to cooperate with the police, it is vital to the success of your legal claim that you not make statements that could potentially be used against you. This is especially true when you are out of state and subject to the laws of another jurisdiction that you may be unfamiliar with.
- Contact your insurance company to start the process of pursuing a claim. You may also need assistance obtaining out-of-state towing, auto repairs, and car rentals.
- Avoid speaking with the truck driver or witnesses to the accident following the crash. Exchanging contact and insurance information is important; however, speaking about the accident further could potentially harm your legal case.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene and obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses. This is especially important since you may need to leave the state where the accident occurred relatively quickly after the crash.
Understanding what to do after a truck accident requires the guidance of an experienced car accident lawyer. For assistance, we encourage you to contact us today at 888-357-7661.