July 12, 2018

How Do I Know If I Have a Civil Rights Case?

Civil Rights

If you have been mistreated by the police or by anyone else who works for the government, or if you work for the government and you have been mistreated by your employer, you may have a civil rights case.

What Are Your Civil Rights?

In Wisconsin, “civil rights” is a broad term that includes many different rights guaranteed in the federal constitution, the Wisconsin state constitution, and in various federal and Wisconsin state laws.

Your civil rights include the right to speak without retaliation from the government. They also include the right to associate with whomever you please.

The Constitution protects citizens from discrimination by the government on the basis of race, sex and religion. The government cannot punish someone because of his or her religious beliefs.

The law also protects people taken into custody. In most cases, a citizen can only be arrested if there is probable cause to do so. Additionally, people in jail or prisons are entitled to humane treatment while incarcerated.

The government also is prohibited from taking your property without due process of law.

What Are Some Examples of Civil Rights Violations?

These are some common examples of civil rights violations in Wisconsin that could affect you or a loved one:

  • The government retaliates against you for speaking on an issue of public concern.
  • The government mistreats you because of your race, your gender or your religion.
  • The police arrest you without probable cause to believe that you committed a crime.
  • The police use excessive force against you, including unjustified shootings.
  • You are subject to abuse by a guard or reckless indifference to a medical condition in while in jail or prison.
  • The government seizes your property or imposes regulations on you without due process of law.

This list doesn’t include all types of civil rights violations, so if you are not sure if your rights have been violated, you can talk a civil rights attorney to find out.

What Are Potential Remedies If My Rights Have Been Violated?

If you can prove that a violation of your rights occurred, you might be entitled to recover lost wages, expenses incurred including medical bills, money for emotional or physical suffering, and the hourly value of the time your lawyer puts into the case.

What Should You Do If Your Rights Are Violated?

If you or your loved one is a victim of a civil rights violation, you should call an experienced lawyer who can explain the best options available to you in light of your situation.  At the law firm of GCW, we are dedicated to helping people get the justice they deserve. We have won many large verdicts and settlements for our civil rights clients. If you think you may have a civil rights case, contact us at any time.

Nationally Recognized Law Firm