About Krista G. LaFave
I am proud to join the Gingras, Thomsen & Wachs team with my extensive legal experience in plaintiff’s personal injury, working on a variety of cases from simple motor vehicle collisions to complex litigation involving various insurance companies and claims. Throughout my legal career, I have enjoyed fighting for individuals and protecting their interests.
In addition to my role as an advocate for clients, I am dedicated to the pursuit of justice by serving as the Municipal Court Judge for the City of Wauwatosa. I was elected by residents in April of 2022 to a four-year term. I took on this additional responsibility because I care deeply about my community and believe the position is essential to ensuring safety and equal ordinance enforcement.
I grew up in Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, but spent many of my weekends and summers on my grandmother’s farm in Slinger. After graduating with honors and degrees in political science and French from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, I worked at law firms in Madison and Chicago. I decided to follow in the footsteps of her father, grandfather and grandmother to become a lawyer and attended Tulane University Law School in New Orleans, Louisiana, where I competed in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration in Vienna, Austria, and was elected Executive President of the Student Bar Association. Upon graduation, I received the prestigious Tulane 34 Award, given to only 34 graduates each year in recognition of their scholarship and dedication to the school community. After graduation, I returned to my home state of Wisconsin and was initially employed as a law clerk for Milwaukee County Circuit Court, where I learned the inner workings of the civil court system.
When I step away from the courtroom, I enjoy exploring Milwaukee County parks with my daughter. A few of our favorite destinations in the County include the swan boats in Veterans Park and Seven Bridges Trail in Grant Park.
If you weren’t a lawyer, what would you do? I would be either an elementary school teacher or a physical therapist. I love seeing little kids light up when they learn new information. I have also benefited from physical therapy throughout my life and would love to learn how to help others feel better due to injuries.
When you’re not working… I’m reading, hiking or traveling.
- J.D., Tulane University Law School, 2013
- B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006
- Wisconsin State Bar, 2013
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association for Women Lawyers – Treasurer
- Past Director of Professionalism, 2021-2022
- Past Director of Programs, 2019-2021
- Past Chair of Litigation Discussion Group, 2013-2020
- Wisconsin Association for Justice – Women’s Caucus Member and Contributing Editor for The Verdict publication
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member of Board of Governors, 2018-2022
- Chair of Strategic Planning Committee, 2021-2022
- Member of Executive Committee, 2020-2021
- Member of Strategic Planning Committee, 2020-2021
- Chair of Racial Justice Workgroup, 2020-2021
- State representative to the American Bar Association, 2020-2022
- Legal Action of Wisconsin – Eviction Defense Project Volunteer
Honors and Awards
- Wisconsin Association for Justice Women’s Caucus Ruth Bader Ginsburg Notorious Servant Award, 2023
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2018-2022
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40, 2021-2022